A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Thursday, January 29, 2009

More About the Blog

People who know blogging (meaning those whose blogs actually get read) say one should keep one's posts to readable length; yet the strength of what we do at MEI and the whole rationale behind this blog is that we're going to provide substance, background, and detail. So occasionally I'll do multiple-part postings. This is the beginning of a couple of posts about what we hope to do with this blog.

In my initial posting I explained a little bit about what we're doing here, but it seems appropriate (now that we're up and running a bit) to say more, and to introduce myself and, for those who got here somehow other than through the Middle East Institute website, MEI, and what this blog seeks to do.

First, why the blog? MEI has been thinking about a blog for some time. In fact, this address at Blogger was claimed back in 2006. Nobody followed through. The philosophy that I and MEI bring to this blog will be discussed in future posts and, I hope, evident from the product.

I'm an old newsletter editor and am therefore pretty good at quick turnaround, fast one-draft writing and concise analysis. I'm an old professor and have some skill at balance and academic objectivity. I'm an Editor who constantly has to deal with academic egos and somehow manage to steer a middle ground, most of the time. And I'm egotistical enough to think someone will read what I have to say, though I have something of a track record suggesting they might. I'll talk more about my background another time.

If you don't know MEI: The Middle East Institute was founded in 1946 by a group of diplomats and scholars to encourage better understanding of the Middle East in the US and of the US in the Middle East. Since January 1947 it has published The Middle East Journal, an interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed journal devoted to the modern Middle East. (Since 1980, it has limited main articles, though not book reviews, to the period since 1945.) Besides the Journal it has an active online publication program at its website, offers accredited language classes (Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, Turkish) and now area studies classes as well, holds an annual conference, other conferences throughout the year, and regular lunchtime speakers, book signings, etc. related to the region. MEI links are over there on the right sidebar.

The Institute has throughout its history not taken positions on policy issues but has encouraged a genuine forum with all sides represented. That, I hope, will characterize this blog as well. It would not be real blogging if I never expressed an opinion, but those opinions are not only not those of MEI (disclaimer's on this page), but also won't be polemic or predictable. Mostly I'll be filling in the background you need to make your own decision. (Forgive me if that sounds like Fox News's "we report, you decide." In my case, I mean it, and so does MEI.) At least that's the intention. The "Backgronder" on Egypt is an example of the kind of information I hope to provide. We'll also provide profiles of key figures, as well as interesting links.

As I've noted, to start with we'll have pretty unlimited commenting. If that gets abused, we may go to moderated comments or limiting comments to registered readers. We'll see.

No comments: